|Low Bridge Everybody Down: Turning the Oswego Canal into Onondaga Lake Park|
Event Type: Adult Programs|
Start Time: 7:00 PM
End Time: 8:30 PM
When the section of the Oswego Canal that passed through Liverpool was abandoned in 1918, it quickly became an eyesore as well as a health menace.
During the Great Depression, the Onondaga County Emergency Work Bureau was established to provide jobs for the unemployed. The Bureau undertook projects that would result in useful permanent improvements to the localities where the work was done. The reclamation and development of the eastern shore of Onondaga Lake was the largest public project undertaken by the local bureau.
Joyce Mills will tell the story of the development of the park including the historic restoration of the Gale Salt Spring, the Jesuit Well, and the French Fort. The Salt Museum was built as part of the project, as well as Willow Bay Picnic Area. The project which was completed in 18 months at a mere cost of $745,744.07 drew fifty thousand people to the opening day ceremonies.
Location: Carman Community Room
Contact: Diane Towlson
Contact Number: 457-0310 ext 112
Presenter: Cindy Hibbert